Store-bought seitan is good, but it can be expensive. So when I wanted to save money I looked around for recipes to make my own and found several that had a similar theme. It’s not hard to do at all, takes little time, and it’s up to you for the flavor.
Makes: About 2 pounds, about 10 servings
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 box of Arrowhead Mills vital wheat gluten- 10 oz
- 1/2 cup Imitation beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 to 4 slices fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
Combine the soy sauce with 1 cup of water in a large measuring cup. Place the gluten flour in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add the liquid to form a stiff dough, stirring with a spoon at first, and then working together with your hands.
Turn out onto a floured board and knead 30 times, then return the dough to the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel, and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring 10 cups water to a simmer in a large soup pot. Add the bouillon cubes and ginger. ( I prefer to use my electric pressure cooker and set it to high pressure for 20 minutes.
Let the dough sit for 15 minutes then divide the dough into two pieces and pull into long, narrow loaves the shape of miniature French breads.
With a sharp, serrated knife, cut each section of dough crosswise into approximately 1/2-inch sections. When the broth comes to a simmer, insert each slice. Simmer gently and steadily for 30 minutes by stove or 20 minutes by pressure cooker. Drain (if desired, save the tasty stock to use for soup or other purpose) and let cool.
Lightly flower your steaks and saute them for about 5 minutes each side over a med-high heat to get a nice crispy coating on them.
These are great with BBQ sauce, as sandwhiches, with a brown gravy made with your left-over broth, or stir fried with some veggies.
- Vegan Hungarian Goulash (strawberrypepper.com)
- Vegetarian Barbecue Ideas (apartmentguide.com)
- An Adventure in Seitan, with Roasted Redskin Potatoes and Broccoli. (vegpocalypsenow.wordpress.com)
- Seitan Sukiyaki (tofuparty.wordpress.com)
- Barbecued Seitan Sandwich (recipegluadys.wordpress.com)
- Seitan Piccata (thirtyaweek.wordpress.com)
- Vegan delights (wrtrgrl77.wordpress.com)
- Vegan On The Cheap (vegcharlotte.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian (sceneinthekitchen.wordpress.com)
- 7 Foods a Nutritionist Would Never Eat (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)
- Book Review: Main Street Vegan (eatdrinkbetter.com)